13 Akademicka Street, 20-950 Lublin, Poland
Deanery: tel. (+ 48 81) 445-65-65
The history of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Lublin goes back to the 10th of October 1944. It is inseparable from the establishment of the Maria Curie-Skłodowska University on the 23rd of October 1944. It was then that the first four Faculties were created: of Life Sciences, Agricultural, Medical and Veterinary.
In the academic year 1944/1945 the first two years were opened with 160 students at different levels, after the pre-war veterinary studies. The Examination Council was established and it was able to grant the first seven veterinary surgeon’s diplomas in the post-war Poland as early as in 1945. Also in 1945 two academic degrees of Doctor of Philosophy with habilitation were granted (to Stefan Koeppe and Tadeusz Żuliński) as well as five degrees of Doctor of Philosophy in Veterinary Medicine.
In 1946 in April 13 basic Departments were established in different parts of the town, many of which were shared by the other Faculties of the new University. In the 1950-ties a new didactic building, Collegium Veterinarium, was erected as well as the veterinary clinics. All the units of the Faculty were moved there, except the Sub-department of Biochemistry, which stayed at the Lubartowska street.
The first Dean of the Faculty was prof. dr Józef Parnas. His work was later continued by the successive Deans, professors Kazimierz Krysiak, Alfred Trawiński (4 terms of office), Tadeusz Żuliński and Marian Chomiak.
In 1955 the Faculty joined the newly-established Higher School of Agriculture (WSR), which in 1972 changed its name into University of Agriculture and in 2008 into University of Life Sciences in Lublin. In the administrative structure of this higher school three professors of the Veterinary Faculty were Rectors: Marian Chomiak, Janusz Welento (3 terms) and Edmund Prost (2 terms). And the following professors have been the successive Deans of the Faculty: Zdzisław Finik (2 terms), Feliks Stański (2 terms), Edmund Prost (2 terms), Grzegorz Staśkiewicz and Janusz Welento, Stanisław Wołoszyn, Jan Buczek, Janusz Wawrzkiewicz (2 terms), Zbigniew Pomorski (2 terms ), Andrzej Wernicki (2 terms ) and, currently, Stanisław Winiarczyk.
In 1995, following the decision of the Faculty’s Council, the name of the Faculty was changed into Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, likewise as in the case of the other three veterinary faculties in Poland. In this way, the original name was restored whose tradition went as far back as to the Lvov Academy of Veterinary Medicine named like this already in the 19th century.